Carlow Lawn Tennis Club, Est. 1878
Established 1878 (ref. History of Tennis by Tom Higgins), Carlow Tennis Club/Co. Carlow LTC/Carlow County Cricket & Tennis Club was one of the first in the province of Leinster. In fact the very first Irish Championships held in 1879 at Fitzwilliam Lawn Tennis Club, saw two Carlow entries.
By 1908, it was one of 50 tennis clubs across the country, and part of a particularly active tennis sector in Leinster. The club was originally located at the Institute of Technology Carlow site, on the Kilkenny road in Carlow until the 1920's when it moved to the existing site on Oak Park Road, sharing the location with the Carlow Rugby Football Club.. CLTC purchased the land from the de Bruen Estate during the mid 1930's but it wasn't until 1960 that the rugby club moved to it's existing site further along Oak Park Road.
Much has changed over the years and today, some 140 years after it was first established, Carlow Tennis Club is a busy, open, and friendly club with plenty on offer for tennis, squash, and badminton enthusiasts. The clubhouse and grounds sit on over 2 acres of land which includes 8 floodlit tennis courts, 2 badminton courts and 3 squash courts. The site footprint also has ample green space, making Carlow LTC unique among tennis clubs with plenty of opportunity for future development. Watch this space!
A growing membership of circa 600, is made up of active and life members and CLTC prides itself on being a community as much as a club New members are always welcome.
An Executive Committee (with up to 12 officers) runs the club on a weekly and monthly basis. Given that the club holds property (a clubhouse, carpark, tennis courts, and surrounding green space), there are also three club trustees in post (appointed by the Executive Committee).
The four Club Officer roles include President, Chairperson, Treasurer, and Secretary; in addition each of the club's three sports are represented by their Sport Captains while additional club executive roles include Child Protection, Membership, Facilities, and Development.